Student Weight: Percent Obese by Grade Level, Statewide (Excluding NYC): 2012 - 2014
This is a chart based on Student Weight Status Category Reporting Results: Beginning 2010.
|Row number||LOCATION CODE||COUNTY||AREA NAME||REGION||SCHOOL YEARS||NO. OVERWEIGHT||PCT OVERWEIGHT||NO. OBESE||PCT OBESE||NO. OVERWEIGHT OR OBESE||PCT OVERWEIGHT OR OBESE||GRADE LEVEL||AREA TYPE||STREET ADDRESS||CITY||STATE||ZIP CODE||Location 1|
|1||000000||N/A||STATEWIDE (EXCLUDING NYC)||STATEWIDE (EXCLUDING NYC)||2012-2014||83095||16.7%||86016||17.3%||169111||33.9%||DISTRICT TOTAL||STATEWIDE|
|2||000000||N/A||STATEWIDE (EXCLUDING NYC)||STATEWIDE (EXCLUDING NYC)||2012-2014||47868||16.4%||49140||16.8%||97008||33.1%||ELEMENTARY||STATEWIDE|
|3||000000||N/A||STATEWIDE (EXCLUDING NYC)||STATEWIDE (EXCLUDING NYC)||2012-2014||34144||17.1%||36033||18.1%||70177||35.2%||MIDDLE/HIGH||STATEWIDE|
created Mar 21, 2013
updated Jun 09, 2016
This chart displays the percent of students who are overweight, obese and overweight or obese by grade level (district total, elementary or middle/high) for New York State (excluding New York City). Removing the statewide filter is not recommended. The chart is based on data collected through the Student Weight Status Category Reporting System (SWSCR). New York City public school districts, BOCES, charter, private and 4201 designated schools are exempt from reporting data to the SWSCR system. For more information check out
http://www.health.ny.gov/prevention/obesity/statistics_and_impact/student_weight_status_data.htm, see the Instructional Guide to Create Visualizations https://health.data.ny.gov/api/assets/FF7F542A-E9C2-490E-AC86-6872B2160DD0. The "About" tab contains additional details concerning this dataset.
- Community Rating
Current value: 0.0 out of 5
- Your Rating
- bmi, chronic disease, childhood obesity, swscr, community health and chronic disease
- Row Count
- Data Provided By
- New York State Department of Health
- Source Link
- Center for Community Health
- Time Period
- Beginning 2010
- Posting Frequency
- o Full data set with all estimates released biennially, district-level single year file released annually (contains data on approximately 50% of school districts)
- Data Frequency
- Dataset Owner
- Bureau of Chronic Disease Evaluation and Research, Division of Chronic Disease Prevention
- Statewide, exclusive of the five boroughs of New York City
- Public School Districts
- Percentages, Counts
- The SWSCR dataset includes weight status data collected from all public school districts outside of the five boroughs of NYC. The dataset is a valid source of information about variation in overweight and obesity in public school districts outside of New York City. However, because these rates reflect a broad range of factors that vary by school district, to make absolute comparisons about observed differences in the rates of obesity and overweight between school districts requires the use of multivariate statistics. Data are aggregated to New York State Department of Education county code assigned to reporting schools and school districts, and to NYSDOH regions and statewide. Because school district boundaries do not align with county or regional boundaries, the county- and regional-level estimates reflect data from students attending school within schools assigned a particular county or regional code. County and regional assignment is not based on county or region of residence. The estimates represent the percentage of students reported within a weight status category, which reflects data reported to the Student Weight Status Category Reporting System. These data should not be considered to represent all school aged-children attending school in a district, county or region because of: restrictions in reporting due to FERPA, especially parents/guardians ability to request that their child's weight status data be excluded from reporting and other sources of missing data.o Use the school years variable to distinguish between the full file (which spans 2 years and includes all public school districts) and the single-year, district only file (which spans a single year and includes only the approximately 50% of public school districts that reported during that year). County, regional and statewide estimates will only be provided biennially with the full-year file. District estimates will be updated annually.
- Because of restrictions in reporting due to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) there was some variation in how much of the student population was represented in the data schools submitted to SWSCR, especially among smaller school districts. Therefore the percentage of the student population represented in the district, county and regional-level estimates may vary. New York City school districts are exempt from the NYS Education Law 903 and 904 that established the SWSCR system. Therefore this dataset excludes public school districts from the five boroughs of New York City (Brooklyn, Kings, New York, Queens, and Richmond). BOCES, special act schools (4201 designated schools), charter, and private schools are also excluded.
- Health, Department of