created Jun 09, 2014
updated Mar 10, 2015
This chart shows the potentially preventable emergency visit (PPV) risk adjusted rates per 100 for Medicaid beneficiaries by patient county and year. The datasets contain Potentially Preventable Visit (PPV) observed, expected, and risk-adjusted rates for Medicaid beneficiaries by patient county and patient zip code beginning in 2011.
The Potentially Preventable Visits (PPV) obtained from software created by 3M Health Information Systems, are emergency visits that may result from a lack of adequate access to care or ambulatory care coordination. These ambulatory sensitive conditions could be reduced or eliminated with adequate patient monitoring and follow up.
The rates were calculated using Medicaid inpatient and outpatient data for the numerator and Medicaid enrollment in the county or zip code for the denominator.
The observed, expected and risk adjusted rates for PPV are presented by either resident county (including a statewide total) or resident zip code (including a statewide total). For more information, check out: http://www.health.ny.gov/health_care/medicaid/ or go to the "About" tab.
- Community Rating
Current value: 0.0 out of 5
- Your Rating
- medicaid, ppv, potentially preventable visits, efficiency, dsrip, outpatient, emergency, quality-safety-costs, strategic initiatives
- Row Count
- Data Provided By
- New York State Department of Health
- Source Link
- Office of Quality and Patient Safety
- Time Period
- Rates are based on inpatient and outpatient data and county or zip code population for each calendar year beginning with 2011.
- Posting Frequency
- Data Frequency
- Dataset Owner
- Bureau of Health Informatics
- 1) Observed Rate= Medicaid PPV / Medicaid enrollee (county or zip code) population *100 2) Expected Rate= Expected PPV / Medicaid enrollee (county or zip code) population *100 3) Risk Adjusted PPV Rate= observed PPV rate/ expected PPV rate*statewide PPV rate 4) Difference in Rates=Observed Rate - Expected Rate
- These datasets use version 1.2 of the Population Focused Preventables (PFP) software. To calculate rates, New York State Mediaid county or zip code population was used in the denominator. Rates were adjusted using age group, gender and race/ethnicity.
- Data that did not have an accurate New York State zip code and county were excluded from the analysis datasets. Medicaid data contains emergency visits to an emergency department, ambulatory surgery center and urgent care centers.
- Health, Department of