created May 13, 2014
updated Jul 26, 2016
The datasets contain number of Medicaid PQI hospitalizations (numerator), county Medicaid population (denominator), observed rate, expected number of hospitalizations and rate, and risk-adjusted rate for Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality Prevention Quality Indicators – Adult (AHRQ PQI) for Medicaid enrollees beginning in 2011.
The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) Prevention Quality Indicators (PQIs) are a set of population based measures that can be used with hospital inpatient discharge data to identify ambulatory care sensitive conditions. These are conditions where 1) the need for hospitalization is potentially preventable with appropriate outpatient care, or 2) conditions that could be less severe if treated early and appropriately. All PQIs apply only to adult populations (over the age of 18 years).
The rates were calculated using Medicaid inpatient data for the numerator and Medicaid enrollee characteristics for the denominator.
The observed, expected, and risk-adjusted rates for each AHRQ PQI is presented by either resident county (including a statewide total) or resident zip code (including a statewide total). For more information, go to http://www.health.ny.gov/health_care/medicaid/. The "About" tab contains additional details concerning this dataset.
- Community Rating
Current value: 0.0 out of 5
- Your Rating
- quality-safety-costs, strategic initiatives, medicaid, pqi, prevention quality indicator, efficiency, dsrip
- Row Label
- Row Count
- Data Provided By
- New York State Department of Health
- Source Link
- Office of Quality and Patient Safety
- Time Period
- Rates are based on hospital inpatient discharges and county or zip code Medicaid population for each calendar year beginning 2011.
- Posting Frequency
- Data Frequency
- Dataset Owner
- Bureau of Health Informatics
- Zip Code
- PQI Measure / Discharges Observed Rate= total number of PQI hospitalizations / Medicaid enrollee (county or zip code) population *100,000 Expected Rate= total number of expected PQI hospitalizations/ Medicaid enrollee (county or zip code) population *100,000 Risk Adjusted PQI Rate= observed PQI rate/ expected PQI rate*statewide PQI rate
- To calculate rates, New York State Medicaid county or zip code population was used in the denominator. Rates were adjusted using age group, gender and race/ethnicity.
- Hospital discharges that did not have an accurate New York State zip code that could be mapped to a New York State county were excluded from both datasets.
- Health, Department of