created Jun 05, 2014
updated Jan 14, 2016
The datasets contain number of Medicaid PDI hospitalizations (numerator), county or zip Medicaid population (denominator), observed rate, expected number of hospitalizations and rate, and risk-adjusted rate for Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality Pediatric Quality Indicators – Pediatric (AHRQ PDI) for Medicaid enrollees beginning in 2011.
The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) Pediatric Quality Indicators (PDIs) are a set of population based measures that can be used with hospital inpatient discharge data to identify ambulatory care sensitive conditions. These are conditions where 1) the need for hospitalization is potentially preventable with appropriate outpatient care, or 2) conditions that could be less severe if treated early and appropriately. Both the Urinary Tract Infection and Gastroenteritis PDIs include admissions for patients aged 3 months through 17 years. The asthma PDI includes admissions for patients aged 2 through 17 years. Eligible admissions for the Diabetes Short-term Complications PDI includes admissions for patients aged 6 through 17 years.
The rates were calculated using Medicaid inpatient hospital data for the numerator and Medicaid enrollment in the county or zip code for the denominator.
The observed counts and rates, expected counts and rates, risk-adjusted rates and the difference between the number of observed and expected PDI hospitalizations for each AHRQ PDI are presented by either resident county (including a statewide total) or resident zip code (including a statewide total). For more information, check out: http://www.health.ny.gov/health_care/medicaid/ or go to the “About” tab.
- Community Rating
Current value: 0.0 out of 5
- Your Rating
- medicaid, pdi, prevention quality indicator, efficiency, dsrip, inpatient, quality-safety-costs, strategic initiatives
- Row Label
- Row Count
- Data Provided By
- New York State Department of Health
- Source Link
- Office of Quality and Patient Safety
- Time Period
- Rates are based on hospital inpatient discharges and county or zip code Medicaid population for each calendar year beginning with 2011.
- Posting Frequency
- Data Frequency
- Dataset Owner
- Bureau of Health Informatics
- PDI Measure / Discharges 1) Observed Rate= Medicaid PDI hospitalizations / Medicaid enrollee (county or zip code) population *100,000 2) Expected Rate= Expected PDI hospitalizations/ Medicaid enrollee (county or zip code) population *100,000 3) Risk Adjusted PDI Rate= observed PDI rate/ expected PDI rate*statewide PDI rate 4) Difference in Hospitalizations=Medicaid PDI hospitalizations – Expected PDI hospitalizations
- These datasets use version 4.5 of the PQI software. To calculate rates, New York State Medicaid county or zip code population was used in the denominator. Rates were adjusted using age group, gender and race/ethnicity.
- Hospital discharges that did not have an accurate New York State zip code that could be mapped to a New York State county were excluded from both datasets.
- Health, Department of
- County Filter