created Jul 02, 2014
updated Jan 28, 2016
This chart shows the overall risk adjusted rate per 100,000 for hospital inpatient prevention quality indicators (all payers) for pediatric discharges by county and year. The dataset contains observed, expected, and risk-adjusted rates for Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality Pediatric Quality Indicators – Pediatric (AHRQ PDI) beginning in 2009.
The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) Pediatric Quality Indicators (PDIs) are a set of population based measures that can be used with hospital inpatient discharge data to identify ambulatory care sensitive conditions. These are conditions where 1) the need for hospitalization is potentially preventable with appropriate outpatient care, or 2) conditions that could be less severe if treated early and appropriately. Both the Urinary Tract Infection and Gastroenteritis PDIs include admissions for patients aged 3 months through 17 years. The asthma PDI includes admissions for patients aged 2 through 17 years. Eligible admissions for the Diabetes Short-term Complications PDI includes admissions for patients aged 6 through 17 years.
The rates were calculated using Statewide Planning and Research Cooperative System (SPARCS) inpatient data and Claritas population information.
The observed, expected, risk-adjusted rates, and difference in rates, for each AHRQ PDI are presented by either resident county (including a statewide total). To view the data presented by resident zip code (including a statewide tota), go to: https://health.data.ny.gov/Health/Hospital-Inpatient-Prevention-Quality-Indicators-P/2xc5-n3zd. For more information, check out: http://www.health.ny.gov/statistics/sparcs/ or go to the "About" tab.
- Community Rating
Current value: 0.0 out of 5
- Your Rating
- quality-safety-costs, strategic initiatives, sparcs, pdi, prevention quality indicator, efficiency, all payer, inpatient
- Row Count
- Data Provided By
- New York State Department of Health
- Source Link
- Office of Quality and Patient Safety
- Time Period
- Rates are based on hospital inpatient discharges and county or zip code population for each calendar year beginning with 2009.
- Posting Frequency
- Data Frequency
- Dataset Owner
- Bureau of Health Care Analytics
- PDI Measure / Discharges 1) Observed Rate= PDI hospitalizations / Claritas (county or zip code) population *100,000 2) Expected Rate= Expected PDI hospitalizations/ Claritas (county or zip code) population *100,000 3) Risk Adjusted Rate= observed PDI rate/ expected PDI rate*statewide PDI rate 4) Difference in Rates=Observed Rate - Expected Rate
- These datasets use version 4.5 of the PQI software. To calculate rates Claritas county or zip code population was used in the denominator. Rates were adjusted using age group, gender and race/ethnicity.
- Hospital discharges that did not have an accurate New York State zip code that could be mapped to a New York State county were excluded from both the zip code and county datasets.
- Health, Department of