created Jun 09, 2014
updated Apr 07, 2016
The datasets contain Potentially Preventable Visit (PPV) observed, expected, and risk-adjusted rates for all payer beneficiaries by patient county and patient zip code beginning in 2011.
The Potentially Preventable Visits (PPV), obtained from software created by 3M Health Information Systems, are emergency visits that may result from a lack of adequate access to care or ambulatory care coordination. These ambulatory sensitive conditions could be reduced or eliminated with adequate patient monitoring and follow up.
The rates were calculated using Statewide Planning and Research Cooperative System (SPARCS) inpatient and outpatient data and Claritas population information.
The observed, expected and risk adjusted rates for PPV are presented by either resident county (including a statewide total) or resident zip code (including a statewide total). For more information, check out: http://www.health.ny.gov/statistics/sparcs/, or go to the "About" tab.
- Community Rating
Current value: 0.0 out of 5
- Your Rating
- quality-safety-costs, strategic initiatives, sparcs, ppv, potentially preventable visits, efficiency, all payer, outpatient, emergency
- Row Count
- Data Provided By
- New York State Department of Health
- Source Link
- Office of Quality and Patient Safety
- Time Period
- Rates are based on hospital inpatient and outpatient data and county or zip code population for each calendar year beginning with 2011
- Posting Frequency
- Data Frequency
- Dataset Owner
- Bureau of Health Informatics
- 1) Rates are based on hospital inpatient and outpatient data and county or zip code population for each calendar year beginning with 2011
- These datasets use version 1.2 of the Population Focused Preventables (PFP) software. To calculate rates, New York State Mediaid county or zip code population was used in the denominator. Rates were adjusted using age group, gender and race/ethnicity.
- Data that did not have an accurate New York State zip code and county were excluded from the analysis datasets. Medicaid data contains emergency visits to an emergency department, ambulatory surgery center and urgent care centers.
- Health, Department of